Classic vs. Skate Trail Requirements

General discussion on skiing, club news and events, ride sharing and other topics relevant to KNSC.
Johnnie

Classic vs. Skate Trail Requirements

Postby Johnnie » 26 Feb 2008, 20:04

As a new comer to skate skiing last year and a reqular one this year, I've not been on the narrower wilderness trails as much. Last week-end, just to be different, I took out my "old timers" and visited the PL trail for the first time in 2 years. WOW, is it ever improved, yet it also has maintained that wilderness look. It's not "a road" like the other skate trails. I noted that the new groomer can navigate it, so some brave folks did skate the trail, but the club has really kept the up and down shapes that classic skier like. If that sort of change can be made, I can now approve any move to make grooming easier on the classic trails like the Kenner, the Adam Scott and even the Red Fox. Previously I would have complained if my old favourite trails had been leveled and widened; now I can accept it and even approve it. Has anyone else a comment on these changes?
Bob Minigan

Re: Classic vs. Skate Trail Requirements

Postby Bob Minigan » 06 Mar 2008, 16:06

My understanding re: the new groomer is that it requires 13 to 16 ft of clearance to operate. (i.e. the "road" width referred to).

In my view, that kind of clearing would ruin the intimate experience on PL and Kenner, not to mention Red Fox.

It seems to me that having old time single track on offer as well as skate trails broadens the appeal of the club and will ultimately bring out more skiiers.

By the way, thanks to the groomers who are doing an amazing job!
Johnnie

Postby Johnnie » 08 Mar 2008, 08:05

Bob said: ..."In my view, that kind of clearing would ruin the intimate experience on PL and Kenner, not to mention Red Fox."...

My post was orgininally send for this very reason. I had thought that the new groomer width would "ruin the intimate experience", but I have now changed my mind. The PL and the Kenner sounth have actually been groomed by the new groomer, and then have NOT been ruined. The experience is still there!

However, I also note that the Red Fox and the Kenner north of the PL (to the Bennet Cabin" are different experiences still, and that the new groomer won't be able to do those trails unless major work is put into them. Bob will still have those to enjoy.
jimbo

Postby jimbo » 01 Feb 2009, 13:06

While I agree with Johnnie that the new groomer does a wonderful job on PL Road, Kenner South (and little Beaver), as a classic skier, I would hate to see everything but Kenner to Bennett and Red Fox opened up to skate skiing. Especially when the weather gets warmer, and the snow gets soft then freezes, skate skiing on narrower trails makes a terrible mess of classic tracks. The mix that Bob refers to is ideal, and the double tracking on Adam Scott and little Beaver is perhaps the best solution.
kvanwalsum

Postby kvanwalsum » 01 Feb 2009, 20:48

For what it's worth as a new member, I love the soft edges of the ungroomed wilderness trails on PL and Red Fox. They are a nice contrast to the other groomed trails.

The grooming in general is great! One bit of feedback (also from guest skiers at KNSC who ski other clubs) would be not to lift the classic track up so early on the hills.

Much appreciation to everyone involved in making KNSC a great place to ski!

Return to “General”