Double Double

General discussion on skiing, club news and events, ride sharing and other topics relevant to KNSC.
Paul Wilkinson

Double Double

Postby Paul Wilkinson » 18 Dec 2008, 15:51

Fancy a challenge?

Join us for the Double Double. Classic ski two times round the outer rim followed by skate ski two times round the large skate loop. 60 km in total.

Feb 22, 8 am start.

Four of us did this last winter. So, we're hoping to have a larger group this time. No lunch or snacks are provided... there's no real organisation of any kind. It's very informal and just for the fun and the challenge of it. Last winter we classic skied counter clockwise from the WOODfine cabin around the south end, north to the PL Road and back to the WOODfine along the west side of the trails. Then we skate skied clockwise. We'll likely do it the same way this time. The whole thing will, of course, depend on the conditions.

Hope to see you there.
Paul Wilkinson

Re: Double Double

Postby Paul Wilkinson » 23 Dec 2008, 15:46

Date change

Due to a conflict with the half marathon, we're moving the Double Double ski to Sunday March 1.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Paul Wilkinson

Postby Paul Wilkinson » 05 Jan 2009, 06:33

Sorry for this, but we're changing the date again. Conflict with the Enduro. It will be on Sunday February 15 at 8 am. Leaving from the WOODfine chalet.

Thanks. Hope you can join us.
gord caldwell

Postby gord caldwell » 03 Feb 2009, 13:17

Hi Paul; I think that myself and a friend would be interested in doing a double double. Last year when you did this, how long did it take you to do so? thanks Gord
Paul Wilkinson

Postby Paul Wilkinson » 07 Feb 2009, 05:56

Gord,

I don't remember what happened last year. Just that we skied ourselves right into the ground. It was several days before I could read a clock again. But it should be between 4 and 5 hours of skiing, depending on the conditions and how fast one skies. It will take longer overall because we'll stop between laps for refueling, moral support, etc.

Hope to see you there.
Paul Wilkinson

Postby Paul Wilkinson » 15 Feb 2009, 17:14

For the record, the 2009 Double Double was completed today by:
Kieran Andrews
Marcus Elia
Tim Hadfield
Doug Hinan
Sean Kelly
Dave Rutledge
Wayne Smith
Paul Wilkinson

Although the route was altered somewhat due to closed trails, it was still 59 km. Skiing times ranged from about 3 hrs and 40 mins to 4 hrs.

Also skiing in the event but for somewhat shorter distances were:
Todd Harris (2 x classic and 1 X skate loops)
Dee Hutchison (2 x skate loops)
Lyne Kostchuk (2 x skate loops)
Linda Rutledge (2 x skate loops)
Dave Woodfine (2 x skate loops)
(some skied further but these are "official distances")

The Peacock Award for the flashest kit goes to Tim Hadfield and his new Finland jersey.

Congratulations to all and thanks for skiing the Double Double.

And a HUGE thanks to Dave Woodfine and the grooming team for the excellent trail conditions.
wayne

Postby wayne » 15 Feb 2009, 23:15

Hi All,

On Todd's behalf, I would like to say that he would have completed the last skate loop, but he had a prior family commitment to attend to. I say that he should be given an honorary Double Double completion status.

Wayne

Return to “General”