Bennett Cabin Ski March 7th 2010

General discussion on skiing, club news and events, ride sharing and other topics relevant to KNSC.
marcus

Bennett Cabin Ski March 7th 2010

Postby marcus » 07 Jan 2010, 20:27

A trek to Bennett Cabin is a must-do for all members at some point in the winter. When the conditions are good, it takes the classic skiing experience to a different level.

A group ski to Bennett Cabin is planned for Sunday, March 7th, conditions permitting.

Simply put, this is a challenging route: Bennett is 5 km north of Tanney Cabin on wilderness trail. Not for the faint of heart!

Scroll through the posts to Feb. 28th for more details. Feel free to use this forum topic if you have any questions about the Bennett ski!

Marcus Elia
Last edited by marcus on 28 Feb 2010, 21:33, edited 4 times in total.
marcus

Re: Bennett Cabin Ski 2010

Postby marcus » 18 Jan 2010, 20:15

Trail update... On Saturday (Jan.16th), with no work trucks around, I ditched my skis at Kenner&Owl and walked up the logging road to the Bennett trailhead to check out snow conditions. In a word: plenty!

I had brought snowshoes for the purpose, and good thing I did-- Once on the trail I was still sinking in a good six inches, my snowshoe tails flicking snow all over my back with every step. Skiing should be wonderful once the trail is packed.

On Sunday the 24th I plan to do more snowshoeing and trail maintenance. If you're interested in helping, please give me a call and I'll discuss specific plans with you.

Marcus
743-6363
marcus

Re: January Bennett Ski POSTPONED

Postby marcus » 26 Jan 2010, 19:18

On Sunday (Jan 24th) I walked up to Bennett on snowshoes with a saw, clearing small trees off the trail. Some observations:
-Despite sections of good snow cover there were also nasty bare spots on the rock ridges. That was before the rain passed through.
-Some of the low-lying areas, which often settled under my weight as I walked in, were puddles when I walked back out. After the rain and mild weather I expect them to be even wetter.
The group ski to Bennett is therefore POSTPONED until Saturday, February 6th. The forecast is for cold temperatures and more snow next week. Do that snow dance!
p.s: someone had cleared a couple of larger trees from the first 500 m of trail before I got there. Thank-you to the mystery chainsawer!
marcus

Bennett Cabin Ski POSTPONED indefinitely

Postby marcus » 03 Feb 2010, 20:16

I took a walk in to Bennett today from Jack Lake Rd to investigate trail conditions. Having walked over many patches of bare rock and grass (!!) along the 250m of trail south of the cabin, I have the unfortunate task of postponing the group ski to Bennett INDEFINITELY.
The trail needs a good 10-15 cm of snow to mitigate unnecessary wear and tear on skis and skiers. In current conditions both of those outcomes are, in my opinion, more likely.
Many thanks to Peter Tiesma and Conrad Hill who had gone in before me to clear the trail from Jack Lake Rd. to the cabin.
Any intrepid souls still planning a ski to Bennett must remember several points:
-Let friends and/or Ski Patrollers know about your plans;
-bring a cellphone and ski with a buddy;
-bring lots of water and snacks;
-use this trail AT YOUR OWN RISK (as is the explicit policy of KNSC on all trails).

Marcus
Last edited by marcus on 28 Feb 2010, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
marcus

Re: Bennett Cabin Ski March 7th 2010

Postby marcus » 28 Feb 2010, 21:30

The snow is back... but not for long! As the edited message at the top of this thread states, the Bennett Cabin ski is on for Sunday, March 7th 2010.

Please note the following rough itinerary:

9:30 Meet at Tanney Cabin (NOT WOODfine Chalet) for snack and wax
9:45 Depart Tanney for Bennett

12:00 Re-group at Bennett Cabin
1:00 Last skiers depart Bennett

Many readers know full well the difference between this route and the other, groomed trails. The steep hills and rugged conditions demand experience, fitness, and material (food, water, wax) preparation.

Please see earlier posts for reminders about preparations and risks. If you have any questions about the ski, post here. Among the readers of this forum there are people with many years of experience on these trails (far more than this writer)!
marcus

Postby marcus » 08 Mar 2010, 20:51

Two intrepid souls trekked to the Bennett Cabin on March 7th and enjoyed a fantastic day out. From Tanney, transit to Bennett was about 1.75 hrs, 1.25 hrs back. The snow was soft and fast, with very few bare patches.
When we got back to Tanney at about 2:30 we decided to make it a 3-cabin day and finished the outing via Laderach. We're already plotting next year's Bennett ski!
Some pictures to tell the story:

Robert on the porch at Bennett. Incredible blue sky and deep white snow.

Perfect tracks all the way back

Inukshuk along the way

Cabin #3
Fraser Lisa

Re: Bennett cabin and the Wilderness Trail

Postby Fraser Lisa » 29 Jan 2017, 20:16

We attempted the wilderness trail today. Under blue skies it was a beauty day to do so. About, what we figure to be 2 km, into the trail we got stuck. Not stuck like - okay, let's figure a way around the log, but stuck like - a where do we go from here? Are we even going in the right direction? Are we supposed to be following the yellow rectangles cause now I am seeing orange ribbon.

Needless to say after encountering what looked impassable with no way forward to either side we decided to head back. However, it was a great adventure and we would like to try again.

Has any one recently tried the wilderness trail? If so, what was your experience like? Were we going the right way?

Thanks,
F & L
skamnitzer

Postby skamnitzer » 06 Feb 2017, 10:22

We had the same experience yesterday (Sunday Feb 5, 2017).
The wilderness trail was in good shape until that point except for one big downed tree we had to creep under.
It would be nice to have the rest of the trail reopened.. Anybody know if there are and plans by the KNSC to do so ?
Doug

Postby Doug » 10 Feb 2017, 05:10

Now it's February 2017 !
For some updated information on the Bennett Trail and cabin please see my post in the volunteering section of the Forum.
Doug

Return to “General”