Mystery Ski Trail

General discussion on skiing, club news and events, ride sharing and other topics relevant to KNSC.
GateGeek

Mystery Ski Trail

Postby GateGeek » 06 Oct 2012, 00:33

So, this is a little odd...but I'm hoping someone might have some information about something I discovered!
Last week I was walking through an area of Kawartha Highlands where I've been a few times; there's a gorgeous lookout, but no trails or signs of human impact besides one very, very old canoe by the side of a pond. Since there's no trail, I end up taking a slightly different route each time, though my GPS ensures I don't get hopelessly lost! :)
This time, I brought my Dad along to show him the area. On our way back to the car, I suddenly noticed right above my Dad's head there was an orange sign on a tree! It was triangular, with a XC skier on it, and the initials "KSC." Now, you have to understand, we were quite literally in the middle of nowhere, bushwhacking through 5-10 year old undergrowth. We were both completely perplexed! There's NOTHING remotely resembling an overgrown trail. No stumps, cut branches, no line of younger trees amidst the older trees. While the sign doesn't appear excessively weathered, clearly there hasn't been a trail there for many, many years. Also...it's on the other side of the highway and a fair ways away from KNSC! It's pretty much straight north from the eastern shore of Coon Lake. I've marked roughly where it was on this map:
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=207 ... 4,0.012531
Again, I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about this, but I thought it was a mystery worth looking into! Perhaps there were some retired trails in this area?
Tommy877

Re: Mystery Ski Trail

Postby Tommy877 » 31 Dec 2012, 13:00

Hi:
Some time ago, the trails for the Kawartha Nordic Ski Club were on both sides of the highway. You have come across one of those trails. Some of the old maps are located upstairs in the chalet. There is also an excellent book about the history of the KNSC for sale from the cabin keepers in the chalet which will further enlighten and entertain you.
GateGeek

Postby GateGeek » 31 Dec 2012, 13:37

Thanks for shedding some light on the mystery! Do you know how long ago those trails were discontinued? Because, as I said there was absolutely no other sign that a trail had ever been there...or where it might go.
Billy A

Postby Billy A » 23 Nov 2014, 09:53

I would also like to know whether those trails are still around. anybody?
BarryDski

Postby BarryDski » 30 Nov 2014, 17:07

hi
The ski trails from Apsley to Buckhorn were only used for 2-3 yrs in the 70's for the ski tour.Abandoned due to landowner issues One can still find the trail markers along the route. I have found some near the Mississauga R. access off hwy #36.
The trail system on the west of hwy #28, north of Eels creek was abandoned in the mid 80's due to lack of snow, inability to groom and lack of interest as the current trail system was improved.
Hope this helps

Barry
GateGeek

Postby GateGeek » 19 Oct 2015, 14:54

Finally managed to get back and snap a pic for anyone who's interested.

pdot

Postby pdot » 15 Nov 2015, 21:16

Where is the lookout you mentioned? Very close to the marker on the google map?

Return to “General”